Friday 4 April 2008

What’s in my mind space when I’m dressing up?

How often do we read the question “who influences your style/who are your fashion icons?” in celebrity interviews and god damn it they all have the same standard answer: Audrey Hepburn, Sienna Miller, Grace Kelly, Kate Moss, My Mum………………..

I agree, all the aforementioned women have given us something special in regards to style but can’t these ‘celebs’ be a little more creative, actually spend a minute thinking about the woman, movies, books or places that really do influence how they adorn their bodies and decorate their homes rather than going with the mass vote and regurgitating ‘Who Magazines’ best dressed list?

Here’s my Inspirational ‘Things’ list for 2008:


1950’s House Wives who apparently actually were "desperate"
Those funny old women who own vintage fashion/thrift stores. They usually wear hats and drink excessively
Old Fashioned glass perfume bottles with those funny puff balls.
My Best Friend Amy, she’s very pretty and wears full skirts and hair ribbons.
Picnic at Hanging Rock.
Sofia Coppola.
The French President’s Wife
. I think I would make a nice first lady.
This girl who works in Diptyque @ 195 Westbourne Grove she means nothing to you and I don’t even know her name but she sold me a candle once and I think about her all the time, she wore jewelled broaches in her hair and was half South American half French – some have all the luck.
Morocco and the smell of hand made raw leather goods.
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.
The smell of my great grandmothers house in Northern Queensland Australia it was a combination of old ladies who wore kimonos with orange lipstick in the mornings, talcum powdered bathrooms and old whisky that sits in a decanter and is strangely never drunk.
Mona Lisa Smile

Do with this list what you will.




1 people have commented:

Anonymous said...

I love those perfume bottles too! Bring them back- 'they make scents'!