Thursday 10 April 2008

Have A Seat

I get a strange pain in my chest when I shop for items that I either can’t afford or are logistically impossible to import back to the motherland therefore my question lies within: are other foreigners affected by this rather odd chest pain?

I wrote of my recent mirror purchase earlier in the week and after the joy of the actual purchasing process was over I have since become overwhelmed with a feeling of both sadness and stress. I now recognize this pain as a direct result of the realization that I may not have this beautiful, reflective piece of history by my side forever.

With European cities a £20 Ryan Air flight away I find myself aching with an unpleasant physical discomfort I like to call “why cant I have it all?” pain. I would go so far as to say this pain has caused me semi severe emotional and mental distress at times. I am so grateful to have access to some of the most amazing and unique flea markets in London, Europe, The World, The Universe, however, this access also drives me crazy and is completely unfair and down right mean. It’s the double edge sword my friends.


Porte de Clignancourt - "Le marché aux puces de Saint-Ouen"

Paris Anxiety

It seems that my current obsession lies with the very practical piece of furniture commonly used for sitting and known to us simply as The Chair, the more distressed and used the fabric is the more I seem to like it. I’m not fussy on style and can often obsess over many different types as long as they appeal to me from a design and aesthetic point of view i.e. I can find the sofa, settee, loveseat, chaise, rocking, club, daybed and even the bench all appealing in some way or another. They do, however, all seem to have a common thread, these ‘chairs’ were all born and have made their home in the European part of our world. They are more often than not made by European furniture makers(?), sat in by ridiculously stylish European people and sadly, never meant to leave these beautiful European cities – alas they will never be mine because let’s be frank I’m not European damn it!



Antwerp Trauma

In Italy last year I accidentally meandered down this tiny alley off the main "more commercial" drag and low and behold the most extraordinary antique furniture market appeared out of no where like a wonderful wonderland of Italian pre loved home furnishings and so the pain began………………. and so the pain continues.
"Marge, there's an empty spot I've always had inside me. I tried to fill it with family, religion, community service, but those were dead ends! I think this chair is the answer.Dan Castellaneta/H. Simpson

I believe the only cure for my ‘chair chest pain’ is to spend a little more time considering those less fortunate than I – those who will never have the opportunity to purchase, let alone view these particular beauties. I’m blessed that life’s biggest problem at the moment seems to be that I can’t have that “divine French Louis XV cream and navy stripped chair with the most charming cabriole legs”. As my Mum once said “be glad you’re who you are Francis – just imagine all the people you could have been” she seems terribly wise on this “I can’t have all the chairs” problem, but then again she has lots of nice chairs.


0 people have commented: