Tuesday 3 June 2008

When accessories become more important than where you sleep...

Just 12 hours shy of my birthday celebrations, a last minute costume change found yours truly with a lovely dress, a sweet pair of shoes but no belt for the party of the year. What’s a girl to do? Panic and shop - In that direct order but never simultaneously!

As luck would have it there is a tiny little gift store attached to a florist just 100 metres from my flat. Every now and then I enter this treasure trove to explore its very specific vintage items; half a dozen handbags sourced from the States and a scattering of vintage ornate belts that are draped around piles of books and potted plants. It was here that my birthday outfit came together. My eyes quickly averted from anything else in the store when I spotted the perfect brown and gold belt with the most outstanding buckle. It was a sign and being so close to home, this piece had to be mine! Coming in at a steep £97 meant that I had to take a good 12 seconds to contemplate my purchase (insert pause for effect) but swiftly, and with a shaky hand the transaction was cleared. Just under a week’s rent debited from my account and my birthday outfit was complete.
At 97 quid I do hope to get at least a good few years wear out of it and if this vintage phenomenon continues it may become another one of those “give to your daughter” pieces, anything to justify the extravagance right?. Let’s just hope my waist appreciated and enjoyed being wrapped in a week's worth of rent for 6 hours last Saturday evening. Any ideas on where I may rest my weary head next week?

12 people have commented:

Ruby Hoppen said...

I love magic finds like that- like once I woke up and said that I wanted red cowboy boots- but a very specific pair. I even drew a picture of them and then that day i was just strolling along the street and I found them! nice belt by the way!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

corr 97 quid!!! It's was totally worth it, you'll be one finely accessorized bag lady!

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

So this is the infamous belt. Lovely, positively lovely...

Anonymous said...

I could not bear to part with that much money for a belt but it is rather perfect.....

pretty said...

Extravagant but totally stunning!

Anonymous said...

i love this belt its breathtaking and i could imagine it with everything from dresses to wide leg jeans

Anonymous said...

accessories simply make an outfit and this one goes above and beyond!

Dotti said...

First of all: Happy birthday, with a short delay. Ooops.
And second: I also know very well how to spend money before I even paid for my rent. Naughty girls, the two of us.

(Did you find a place to stay? Or a decent solution in the end?)

Seeker said...

Amazing belt!!

this modern love said...

Ooo it's lovely! It's the nicest feeling when you find something and you just know straight away it's exactly what you've been looking for. I usually take it as a sign. (Probably why I am so far in debt, now that I think about it...)

Flat Broke Fab Ashleigh... said...

But it is a pretty belt...so atleast if you have to sleep rough, people will admire your fab belt as they walk past you slouched in a doorway! Always a silver lining thats what i say!

X

www.flatbrokefabulous.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Très jolie!