Wednesday 19 March 2008

Australians And Their Endless Summer....







I figured it was fitting to honour an antipodean designer in my first post as I’ve really been missing the Australian fashion world and its accessibility of late. Considering I hail from the lucky country I wanted to draw attention to the creative genius that is Alannah Hill. Too often more humble Australian designers are over shadowed by the mega success of our big guns – the ever lovely Collette Dinnigan and the sharp work of Akira, not too mention every bodies favourite denim duo Sass and Bide (huge favourites of mine during my university days). For some odd reason the Aussies have an extensive array of work that doesn’t seem to have cracked into the EU market, maybe they don’t want to, maybe it’s a choice, maybe they are all happy down there with their endless summer and long beaches. Personally I think it a shame Londoners and Europeans alike are missing out on our talent and if I’m to be honest I’m simply showing off a little. If you’re a fan of ‘everything old is new again’ Miss Hills wardrobe is for you. Collection after collection she brings Australian women delicate lace and satin camisoles, antique floral tiered skirts and bejewelled cardigans with bow and button details. Rich jewel coloured fabrics in deep mahoganies and purples give her flagship store on Sydney’s Oxford St and the Melbourne and Brisbane stores a 1940’s theatrical boudoir ambiance. I also heard on the fashion retail street that all staff must at all times wear a full red lip, head piece and heels – that’s my kind of uniform.
p.s I stumbled across a fantastic website that brings some of my favorite ‘Thunder From Down Under’ together in one site, enjoy a peek into what we can offer at The Fashion Review.

0 people have commented: