Thursday 30 October 2008

The Family Heirloom



I believe that I have earned the right to be (not-so-quietly) proud of myself. I have acted selflessly, putting the needs of others before my own. I have gone on an international shopping quest resulting in my purchase of designer clothing and accessories to add to my personal collection. So, SO selfless of me...I can hear the judgement and scoffing, but bear with me.
When I entered the Designers First and Second Exclusives store on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Munich, it was not me I was thinking of. As I fingered the Chanel, Prada, de la Renta and Ossie Clark threads, it was not my pleasure I had in mind. And as I found my two arms sliding through the yellow tweed sleeves of the Moschino trench and then forking over the euros, it was not my future I was planning for. These selfless, charitable acts were conducted in the spirit of charity, for the sake of the family heirloom.
Now, I don’t know whether you were as lucky as I was and inherited a coin or doily collection, but I feel the need for a modern revisitation of the heirloom. If we survey our consumer-driven materialistic society (glorious, isn’t it?!) it is luxury goods which are coveted and hold value.
So, I have made it my mission to acquire a few collectors pieces to pass down to my oh-so-appreciative daughter (who, just for the record, exists purely in my imagination). If I squealed with delight at my 1980’s Moschino coup, imagine how my little girl will enjoy the adoration and envy as she parades her ‘vintage’ coat amongst her teen gal pals!
There IS a slight, just teeny tiny chance that despite its status and value she may cast off the jacket as ‘old’ (something I’m sure we’ve all done in our youth and regretted). But it’s a chance I’m willing to take. 
So, I issue you a challenge. Be selfless. Be noble. Put your unborn spawn first and flex that fantastic plastic on some designer goods. Wear them to ensure they absorb your love and the era. In the name of the heirloom, an ancient tradition, go out and buy that Goyard trunk you’ve always desired. It’ll be an investment in your future child’s future (just don’t try to use that excuse to justify the expense to your partner!)

[Words and adventures supplied by Muds very own overseas correspondent.  Mud Mail sashays the streets of the worlds most fashionable cities and gives us the low down.]

17 people have commented:

WendyB said...

I always tell people my jewelry designs are future heirlooms!

Tricia said...

I love this, shopping as a noble quest, indeed!

Make Do Style said...

I'm off for that Goyard trunk now! After the Hermes birkin....

Anonymous said...

can I just say WOW. I discovered your blog today and well, the photos, your style, the writing!
Keep up the good work :)

Gracie said...

I love the idea of heirlooms! I myself have received a lot of jewellery, whether it's gold, diamante or enamel, I love it all!!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

Any kind of future investment is bound to be ruined by the very one that it was purchased for...or thats what my parents would have you believe :)

Heather Poole said...

Amazing photos!

Tabitha said...

Thanks for your comment...I'm crusing through your blog and LOVE all the pics. Can't wait to read more of your posts.

Helen said...

Ha, what an awesome entry. I wish my Mum had kept her old clothes from the 70s and 80s the photos are great

Lady Melbourne said...

Oh you have justified all my overseas shopping, I was thinking it in my head but seeing it in writing on your blog makes it official- I have single handedly created a clothing glory box for my hypothetical daughter!!!
Love your pictures, I've not been around much as I'm travelling myself but I hope to keep up to date with whats going on from now on.
LM
x

Anonymous said...

As someone who stands to inherit a wealth of neon-colored corduroy and many different garments of stretch (and non-stretch) velvet; and Can completely understand and commend your actions my dear Francis.

However, as someone who has absolutely no desire to breed, you're going to have to excuse my shunning of your heirloom quest in favour of spoiling myself rotten.

Fantastic post lovely.

Xx

Mademoiselle Dauphine said...

I love how you justified all my purchases in one post - thankyou! And then I can tell hypothetical daughter that I too once wore my mummies clothing and then she will squrim and say - but grandma is such a dag! (maybe) and the whole generational differences in view to clothing will become apparent before my eyes!
Great Post!
also, I tagged you in my blog :)

Anonymous said...

Even MORE of an incentive to shop! Brilliant post :)

Airam said...

Your blog is fantastic! I like the layout and the pictures, especially the one of you wearing a tutu - you should do it more often (though perhaps walk on the inner side of the sidewalk, to avoid those busses). My favourite part, though, is actually your writing. It's funny and to-the-point and sounds like an actual person, which, I suppose, is what most bloggers wish to achieve. Well done, you!

Airam said...

Your blog is fantastic! I really like the layout and the pictures, especially the one of you wearing a tutu - you should do it more often (though perhaps walk on the inner part of the sidewalk, in case of those busses). My favourite part, though, is actually your writing. It's sharp and funny and sounds like a real person, which, I suppose, is what all bloggers wish to achieve.

Anonymous said...

happy christmas!!! I hope you come back soon

Vera said...

Every time I go to Munich I am amazed by the quantity of QUALITY designer furniture stores. It's amazing!!